Monday, April 29, 2013

Paleo Sangria


PALEO/VEGAN/VEGETARIAN/GLUTEN FREE/COCONUT 

Sangria is one of my favorite ways to drink wine…actually it is my favorite way to drink wine, and home made is the best way to do it.

This was one of those recipes where I searched and found about a dozen variations and just decided to make one up that pulled from them all.

The reason this is a paleo recipe is because unlike most sangrias I didn’t use cane sugar. Instead I used coconut sugar. To find out more about coconut sugar check out a previous blog on my favorite kitchen things.


I’ve made this 2 times so far, and both times I used Our Daily Red wine. It’s fairly inexpensive and works well by itself or in this sangria. Our Daily Red is also a vegan friendly,  and sulfite free wine. Apparently sulfite free wines are not supposed to give you headaches the day after, but since I am not a full fledged wine connoisseur, this is something I'd recommend researching yourself.
  
Ingredients
- 2 bottles of semi-sweet to dry red wine
- 1 cup coconut sugar (To avoid using the dreaded ingredient of regular sugar I have invested in a wonderful substitute, coconut sugar. The cheapest I've found it at is Amazon.)
- 2 cups mango/orange juice (plain orange juice will do as well)
- ½  cup pure cranberry juice, optional (I happened to have it in the fridge the second time I made it and liked the extra flavor)
- 2 medium/large oranges peeled and cut into half wedges
- 2 medium/large sweet apples cored, and cut into half wedges
- half a pineapple cut into chunks
- ¼ lemon juice or juice from 2 large lemons (I get organic lemon juice from Costco.)
- Juice from 2 limes, optional
- Keep squeezed lemons and limes for bowl
- 2 cups mixed frozen berries, thawed (Costco has organic frozen mixed berries that work well in this recipe, as well as in smoothies. The bag includes blackberries, blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, and cherries.)


Recipe
  1. In a large punch bowl, serving bowl or pot add the wine and sugar. (I use a beautiful serving bowl from Ikea, but am still in search of a decently priced ladle.)
  2. Mix wine and sugar well until sugar has dissolved.
  3. Add the remaining ingredients and stir. Test the sangria to make sure it is sweet enough. If it is not sweet enough add a little more sugar and mango/orange juice.
  4. Cover the bowl and place in the fridge to chill for at least an hour prior to serving.
  5. When the night is done and if people haven’t eaten the wine laden fruit by the end of the night you can keep it to make a wine slushy for yourself the next day. J

Original Recipe – To many sources so I’ll say this one is mine. J


No comments:

Post a Comment