Friday, April 26, 2013

Mushrooms Sautéed in Red Wine & Coconut Oil


VEGETARIAN/GLUTEN FREE/COCONUT OIL/PALEO/DAIRY FREE/SUGAR FREE

Mushrooms are my favorite! Well, one of many. I’m usually too lazy to do much more than simply sauté my mushrooms in coconut oil or add it to a scrambled omelet, but this recipe looked so intriguing I had to try it out.

I’ve been getting in wines of late especially since a friend of mine started her own wine tasting business. The only problem I’ve found with wine is what to do with the ones I don’t like but have already opened. Thankfully wine makes an awesome ingredient in lots of recipe.



Ingredients

- 24oz white mushrooms (you can use any other type of mushrooms)
- ½ cup red wine (I’ve used a slightly sweet red and a very dry red. I assume the dryer is preferred for a recipe like this, but I enjoyed the sweeter one as well. The first time I tried this recipe I used Table Red from Wine Shop at Home)
- 2 tbs coconut oil (I order coconut oil in bulk from www.bulkapothecary.com. It’s cheaper than any store outside of the Caribbean. Stores in North America charge a ridiculous amount for such a simple/healthy product.)
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced (Add more or less depending on your preference for garlic.)
- 2 tbs lemon juice
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Parsley for garnish (fresh is listed in the original recipe, but I have a plethora of dried herbs, so I used dried parsley instead)

Recipe
  1. In a large sauce pan saute garlic in oil over medium heat until lightly brown.
  2. Add wine to pan and bring to simmer.
  3. Add mushrooms to pan and coat in wine sauce. Cover and let simmer on low/medium heat for 15 minutes.
  4. Add salt, pepper and lemon and mix well. Garnish with parsley and serve.


No comments:

Post a Comment